Welcome


Hello, my name is Dionne and I have been crafting for a very long time. As a very young child my mother tried to teach me to knit, it was a disaster. However, it must have sparked an interest in making things and, partly to prove that I was not totally useless and partly because I really wanted to make things, I taught myself to crochet. Over the years I have developed a love of cross stitch and all types of paper craft ..... I eventually even taught myself to knit.


I am married to a very understanding man, thank goodness, because I spend all my time either crafting, thinking about crafting or talking about crafting. I am hopeless at housework and dinner is often late!


Thank you for visiting my blog.


Dionne

Friday, 10 October 2014

Altered Notebook

Yippee, the weekend is almost here.

I thought I should share another of my steampunk projects with you today.  The current challenge over at Crafty Boots Challenges is 'Gold' and this altered notebook seemed to be the perfect project.


Regular visitors will know that I recently bought two of the Sizzix layered Bigz dies, the ones with the texture fades embossing folders ... the bee and the dragonfly.

For this project I used the bee die.  I started by covering  the cover to a small notebook with some thick hammered card which I had painted that with bronze metallic acrylic paint.   Once the paint was dry I ran it through a honeycomb embossing folder.

I then painted more sheets of card with different metallic acrylic paints and die cut the cogs and my bee.  (You may have noticed that I went back to the bee with my gold paint and picked out his stripes.)   I used two cog dies sets, these were a Robert Addams set and a X Cut set.  I also used some very small metal watch parts to add to the cogs and to decorate the bee.  I also added a few flat backed gems to the decorations.  Finally, I added black ink smudges.

I hope that you have a wonderful weekend.


Dionne

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dionne I think your notebook looks totally amazing and I love your colours and embellishments. Sorry for being so dumb but how did you cover it so perfectly over the wire spine as you've made an amazing job??? :-)
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Hugs
    Kathie
    kathiezkardz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathie

      Thank you so much for your lovely comments. Yours is a very good questions and perhaps I should go back and put something about it above.

      Actually, making the new cover sheet is not quite as difficult as you might imagine, it just takes a little crafty shopping. When you buy your note book you need to buy the sort with gaps in the spiral binding. When you get home you have to gently pull the spiral apart so you can slip the cover off.

      You can then cover the cover with your chosen papers. Before putting the newly decorated cover back onto the notebook you have to make the holes for the wire. These days I use my Cropadile to do this but, before I bought mine, I used the hole punch from my eyelet set.

      Once the cover is back in place, gently squeeze the wire back together.

      I hope this helps and you have fun altering your notebook covers.

      Dionne

      Delete
  2. I think I like this one the best!!! So glad Kathie asked her question as I was wondering about that too (you must have so much patience ) and thought you might have one of those binding machines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Dionne, this is fabulous! I think you might have sold me on purchasing that bigz die! Love all the metallics and the honeycomb background! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog, I look forward to reading your feedback on my work. I hope you will visit again.

Dionne